Friday, April 1, 2011

Im still alive, I promise!

I have really let this fall behind!!!
Things have been so chaotic lately that by the time I have time to blog(after the boys go to bed) I usually just want to spend some time with Jared, and go to bed!

So here what has been going on.

Wednesday I started school!!!!!
The day didn't start out to great.
Around midnight someones car alarm started going off. This wasnt your normal beeep beeep beeep, kind of alarm. Its 5different noises that go ON AND ON AND ON! Then it will stop just long enough for you to think that it is off.......then it starts again!! The people would let it go off 4-5 times before shutting it off!! This went on periodically until around 3am!!
Around 2:30 Rylan woke up. He had wet the bed and had a nightmare. So I changed him up and put him in bed with us. Needless to say neither Jared or I got a good nights sleep.
We then had to get up at 4:45am to take him in to work so I could have the car for the day to get to school.
Once back home I feed and dressed the boys and myself. Took them to Laurens and headed to school!
It was interesting being back in a school setting. I only have one teacher and 1 class room. Because this is a course that you get a certificate in and not a degree, I don't have any pre requisites like say English 101 or math 101. Although I do have medical math!
There are about 24 people in my class. I was intrigued to see the variety of people in my class. From older(40+) women AND men(5 one of which has identical triplet girls on the way) to just out of highschool, 4 foreign students, 2 sets of sisters and many of us with children!
We are in class every day from 8am to 3pm.
This next month is a little different though. In our class room there are only 4 dialysis machines to work on. So Mr. Ken(or instructor) put us in to 6 groups of 4. Only 1 group will come in each morning from 8-10(or machine maintenance and set up class) and the rest of us come in at 10, every day that is not our assigned day.(when our next class starts). This enables 1 on 1 time with Mr. Ken when we are learning how to dry string a machine with blood lines. He has shown us once and its kind of complicated mostly because you have to do it in an exact order due to policy and procedures. Not only that but you are dealing with the machine simultaneously because its detecting levels and such.
Most of the projects we will be doing are group based. We already have our groups and that is it for the year.
Our first project is 2wks long doing a field study. We have to contact 2 different company's( main are Davita and Fersinius?) and ask if our group can come in and basicly interview them. We can ask them any questions we feel we need to pertaining to the whole realm of dialysis. We then compile everything and EACH make our own books with all the info we gathered in them.
So we go as a group and share info but our books are individual.
I actually like my group. Im not a big fan of group projects because I like doing things on my own and MY way lol.
But Im glad I was pared with who I was for 2 reasons. 1)I didn't get any annoying people, and yes after only 3 days they have already made themselves known! 2) Out of the 3 other girls I am more outgoing. Granted Im not as out going as others in the class but in my group I am. This I hope will get me more notice at a clinic than if I were with the others. This sounds horrible but its the truth!
I can very well gain a job from my clinicals so its very important to me!

Ive only hit a few snags in these 3 days but they are kind of major. I'll start with the smallest one.
1)So I got my pell grant the first day of school. I found a "shared" bank here that works with Potlatch back home. I deposited my money but got $200 out for Lauren. It was lucky I did that because the bank is holding my deposit!!!! And it takes 3 days to go threw! The money is there but I cant access it!
So I wasn't able to get any of my books or my scrubs and shoes. I did get some blood lines, a stethoscope and a face shield. So I have to go BACK to the book/clothing store to get my stuff early Monday morning!

2)We have to have specific immunizations to do our clinicals next symester. Well I found out(after doing a worthless test) that I was never immunized for Hepatitis A B or C. All of which I need to do clinical s(c is optional I guess). So now I have to wait for the worthless blood test to come back and then get my immunizations!!

3)At this point I dont have a car.....We had a plan and everything was working fine until we were denied a loan.
After I buy my scrubs and stuff I will have about $1000 left of my pell grant. We were going to refinance the car to lower our interest rate with state farm. They said they could give us a $5k loan to pay off the 2k left on the car and use the left over, plus my 1k to buy me a new car. I even had one picked out too and it was less than 4k. Then they told us we had been denied. That was yesterday and we still dont know what we are going to do.
I dont know how much more I can take of getting myself and the boys up at 4:45am. Its gotten all of us out of whack and I almost fell asleep in school. I know its stressing Jared out too.

Anyway. Thats what has been up with me!

0 comments:

Post a Comment